Good riddance, 2016! Sure, there were some pretty awesome things that happened this year, but all we can seem to think about are the countless celebrity deaths and the seemingly endless, ugly-as-all-hell election cycle. So let’s say goodbye to this year and just party our faces off one last time, OK? In order to help you do so, we’ve compiled 17 Sacramento-area New Year’s Eve parties for you, our beloved readers. Be sure to plan ahead, as many of these events will likely sell out. Be safe, be smart and of course, please don’t drink and drive. Here’s to a clean slate in 2017!
1) Put your metal horns up at Ace of Spades as they host four hard rock acts. Y&T headlines with support from Evolution Eden, SJ Syndicate and Anarchy Lace. All ages, 7 p.m., $35 in advance, $40 day of show. 1417 R St.
2) Downtown Sacramento’s legendary blues and rock venue Torch Club is hosting two excellent groups, Mind X and the City of Trees Brass Band. This shindig kicks off at 9 p.m. and the cover will set you back $25. 904 15th St.
3) Slide into 2017 at the Center for the Arts when the master of the slide guitar and his band, Roy Rogers and the Delta Rhythm Kings, rock the foothills. Nevada City locals The Rayos open up the show. Tickets start at $37 for dance floor general admission and the party starts at 9 p.m. 314 W. Main St., Grass Valley.
4) The region’s premier comedy club, Punch Line, is the place to be if you want to laugh off 2016. Two shows, 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m., with each featuring different comics like Kiry Shabazz, Michael Patten, Daniel Humbarger, Emma Haney, Ngaio Bealum, DJ Sandhu and many others. Both shows are 18-and-over, tickets start at $20 in advance. 2100 Arden Way #225.
5) The historic Crest Theatre will host two amazing groups, the Jackie Greene Band and The Mother Hips, for what is sure to be a night to remember. All ages are welcome, doors open at 7:30 p.m. and tickets are $80. 1013 K St.
6) The beloved Second Saturday block party known as THIS returns for a New Year’s Eve mega-party dubbed the Midtown Mountain Get Down with live music from Miami Horror and support from Le Youth, Dusty Brown, MyKill and tons of other legit DJs. It all goes down at the MARRS Building, 1050 20th St. 18-plus, tickets start at $50 in advance.
7) One of Sac’s favorite nightclubs, Harlow’s, is hosting a “yacht rock explosion” for their NYE party, featuring none other than the Bay Area purveyors of smooth, Mustache Harbor. Doors at 9 p.m., $30 in advance, 21-plus. 2708 J St.
8) The popular Midtown watering hole Highwater is throwing a rager with DJ Blue and Great Paid with Travis A. Expect a photo booth (so much cooler than selfies!) and a midnight balloon drop. 21-and-over, 10 p.m. 1910 Q St.
9) Folsom’s Historic District will be jumping to the sounds of Sacramento-based funk/rock/R&B outfit Soul Heir as they turn things up at Powerhouse. Also on the bill is DJ Alazzawi. 8 p.m., 21-plus, $20 in advance. 614 Sutter St.
10) Three of the area’s top DJs are getting together for an epic dance party at Fox and Goose. A measly $10 cover gets you into DJ Larry, MC Ham and DJ Wokstar’s annual NYE bash. Expect soul, funk, reggae, disco, Afro-Latin and so much more. 9 p.m. start time, 21-plus. 1001 R St.
11) Looking for more of a family friendly, daytime option? Crocker Art Museum is once again throwing their highly anticipated Noon Year’s Eve party with live music, dance performances and festive art activities. All ages welcome and the museum is free for everyone from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. 216 O St.
12) 2016 sure gave us the blues. Speaking of, you can get your groove on this NYE with two great local blues bands at the Lions Gate Hotel Ballroom when Jim Holmes Presents throws their Fourth Annual Gala Event featuring Todd Morgan and the Emblems and Val Starr and the Blues Rocket. Doors at 8 p.m., $30 in advance, $40 at the event. 3410 Westover St., McClellan Park.
13) Old Ironsides is sure to be popping with Doombird’s album release show for their excellent new release Past Lives at a special NYE installment of one of Sacramento’s longest running indie-rock dance parties, Lipstick! DJs Roger Carpio and Adam Jay will also be spinning jams. 9 p.m., 21-plus, $8 in advance. 1901 10th St.
14) DJ Danny Mijangos and DJ Kwix will bring the dance jams to K Street on District 30’s insane sound system. Free with RSVP before 11 p.m.! Doors open at 10 p.m., 21-plus. 1022 K St.
15) If you’re looking for less of an all-out party vibe, reserve seats ASAP for the Hornblower’s New Year’s Eve River Cruise on the Sacramento River. This one-hour cruise will offer great views of the Sky Spectacular fireworks show and will take you under the Tower Bridge and I Street Bridge with drinks, food and chill background music on board. 8:30 p.m., all ages welcome, tickets vary in price. 1206 Front St.
16) Looking for some funky, jam-y dance music to groove away 2016? Hit up Bar 101 to see local band Drunken Kung Fu light up the dance floor. 9:30 p.m., no cover, 21-and-over. 101 Main St., Roseville.
17) The champagne will be flowing as 107.9 The End hosts a sure-to-be epic party at The Park Ultra Lounge with jams all night from Sacramento veteran DJ Peeti-V. 9 p.m., 21-plus, $50 early bird tickets. 1116 15th St.
For even more ideas check out our calendar!